Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Home Made Goodness





I read somewhere that 80% of getting and staying fit depends on what we eat. I believe it may be even more than that. Although it may work for some people, however temporary, I have long made it know that I do not agree with "dieting". I think we should always try to eat healthy, including mostly fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and legumes. We eat MOSTLY vegetarian at home, though we do still love to include fresh salmon and some other types of fish in our weekly menu.

Anyone acquainted with me knows of my love for cooking. What started off as an interest in making pancakes for the family at age fourteen, has turned into a pursuit of excellence in delicious recipe development. Over the years, and especially since getting married and becoming a mom, I have sought out ways to make mostly healthy dishes that my family would love. We seldom eat out, and I strive to make as much from scratch as I can...when time allows. I feel better knowing exactly what is going into the food I eat, and feed to my family.

We do love to eat good food, and we are working on improving the way we eat: snacking less and eating three solid meals that include a big breakfast and a lighter dinner. This is still a work in progress!

 This dish is one of my oldest daughter's breakfast favorites. She calls them "grapes" and she always gets excited when she sees me making them. For the recipe I usually use a ratio of 1 part flour:2 parts milk. For example, for my husband, me, and our 5 year old this is the amount I use:

Lexie's Crepes
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups almond milk
1 TBS baking powder
2 tsp organic sugar
pinch of salt

I combine all these ingredients with a wire whisk until well blended. Then I cook on skillet using 1/2 or 1/3 measuring cup to pour out on the skillet greased with cooking spray. The temperature should be set at medium-low heat. I cook on one side until top side appears almost cooked, then flip them over for about one more minute to allow the other side to cook. They should be a light golden brown color. Then I cool them on a wire wrack and serve with a variety of spreads and fruit. Some favorites include Nutella and banana, peanut butter and banana, cream cheese and strawberry preserves.

A big, hearty breakfast is the way to start the day off. I always include fruit with whatever we eat for breakfast. Variety is the way to go, and the more colorful the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment