Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Running back - Update #1

Today is Thursday, March 19, 2015.

I have not officially started my marathon training yet. I'm still in the "getting motivated" phase. It is definitely a challenge getting back into the routine of things, after almost two years off from exercising. Since my original post, I've only walked/jogged a handful of times.

I could make excuses all day: I had to do stuff for the kids, I had to do stuff for my husband, I have too much laundry and cleaning to do, I didn't get enough sleep...and the list goes on.

I read a quote the other day that really struck a chord with me. It went something like..."Make the time for the things that are important to you". We often make up a list of things that we claim as priorities, but when we look at how much time we actually spend on those things, we may be surprised at the results. I could say that running and exercise are priorities, but am I making time in my schedule for it? Am I protecting that time? Right now, the answer is no. But I am working on it.

One day last week, after putting it off for most of the day, I hopped on my treadmill sometime in the later afternoon. My baby girl was watching from her play yard, and my oldest girl was beside me on the carpet, running in place. I didn't run far or fast or long, but the point is, I got on and started. And hearing my oldest say, "I love exercising with you, Mommy!" and "Exercise is good for our bodies. It makes us healthy and strong!", was great motivation. This is one of the reasons I challenged myself to make this marathon goal in the first place. I want to be healthy and strong, not only for my own sake, but in order to set a good example for my girls, and to have the strength and energy to keep up with them.

I found the following quote on the Women's Running facebook page:
Sometimes we feel like quitting before we even start. For me, prayer for strength, and just pushing myself to just go whether I feel like it or not, is often necessary. Especially at the beginning, it is so important to determine what our motivation is, and to keep remind ourselves when things get rough!



No comments:

Post a Comment