Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Twelve Steps: Step One




Even though we may know what habits are good for us, we often neglect to do the simplest and easiest. We get into a routine of not drinking enough water or getting enough sleep. And even though those things could be managed with a little tweak of our schedule or habits, diet changes are more complex for most of us.

In formulating these 12 steps, I have been trying to tackle each, one at a time. When I believe I have a handle on it, then I try to tackle the next step. I still fall back into old habits at times, but keeping a list of these steps close at hand is a trigger for me to remember and make adjustments as needed. There will always be changes we experience, daily or over time, and adjustments will always have to be made. It's important for us to remember that this is okay...life happens!


When I look at what I think it takes to experience the best wellness, I naturally thought of how important water is. There are numerous studies and reports that tell us just how important drinking water is. Just do a web search and you will find benefits such as: detoxifying, moisturizing the air in our lungs, moisturizing our skin (very important as we age), help with metabolism, joint protection (also important in aging), and the list goes on!

Science tells us that our body consists of about 2/3 water.

Even though I know well enough that there are many benefits, when I stopped to reflect on just how much water I was getting, it was sadly very little. So I decided I needed a plan of attack. I needed to do more than just "try" to drink more, but actually make a plan. I've seen some articles that say as long as you are getting liquid into your body (coffee, tea, milk, juice, even soda!!), that you were doing good. But I disagree with that! I think aside from drinking those things, that everyone should be drinking at least 6-8 glasses of pure water each day. Besides, studies don't say that our bodies are made up of milk, or juice, or coffee (though some coffee-lovers might disagree with that!)

So here is the plan I am currently using:

* 2-3 glasses first thing in the morning, before breakfast
* 1 glass with breakfast
* 1 glass before lunch
* 1 glass before dinner
*1 glass one hour before bed

I also drink an additional 2-3 glass whenever I exercise

Some of my friends like to take a gallon jug or other large container and fill it first thing in the morning and just drink it throughout the day. There is no one correct way to do it, the point is that you get at least the minimum your body needs to function well.

If you try this for even just one week, I bet you will look and feel different.
Even if you just start off drinking a couple glasses first thing in the morning for a few weeks, that could make a big difference. Then you can slowly build up from there until you have made it a habit.

Find yourself a nice big glass, favorite mug, or anything else you can drink out of.  Fill it up...and drink to your health!





No comments:

Post a Comment