Sunday, January 17, 2016

Marathon Training Update - Holiday Break

Whether training for a race, or just trying to stick to a regular exercise program, holiday celebrations can derail even the best fitness plans.

And that it exactly what happened to me over the Christmas holiday! I'm not even that upset about it. Not really. I didn't overindulge...too much...but I spent a lot of time cooking, entertaining, attending parties and family outings. All of which left me pretty tired and not very motivated to run.

If you've ever started and maintained a training program, it can be down right scary to stop for any reason. But I wasn't planning on stopping...just taking a short break.

And when my body is telling me it's tired, then I opt for rest over pushing myself into a workout. So, after a long run on the Sunday before Christmas, I took the rest of the week off from runs and other gym workouts. The following Sunday I jumped back into my training routine, and actually felt pretty energized.

For me, taking a break was much needed. I had a chance to rest both physically and mentally, from the insanity that is marathon training. Anyone who has ever done a marathon, especially for the first time, knows that it is somewhat of an obsession. Even when I'm not running, I'm thinking about running and cross-training and meal planning and running gear...and on and on.

I will say, the reason I committed to this fitness path was to rediscover my love for running and fitness. I can now wholeheartedly say that the love is back. Even though I have not actually done the race yet, it has already helped me accomplish that particular goal. For that I am grateful. Now, I look forward to that special day (40 days and counting!!!), and moving on towards my ultimate fitness goals.

The last few months have been wonderful and challenging...miserable at times (Oh the chaffing!), and I am so glad I made the decision to train for my first (maybe my last) marathon.


P.S. ~ Here are some things I've discovered during my training, that I absolutely love!

1. Under Armor 1/2 zip Hoodie - This hoodie has been wonderful in cooler weather. Comfortable on long runs, and warm in 40-50 degree weather, with just a layer of sports bra and tank top. The only thing I wish it had was a zipper pocket somewhere. Under Armor has other outer layers with zipper pockets, but I really love this one. I plan to wear it on race day!




2.SPIBELT - I have been trying out various fueling belts over the last few months. I've tried ones with 1 water bottle, 3 water bottles, pockets, pouches, slits, etc. This one is my favorite so far. It is water resistant, so keeps whatever is inside from getting sweaty. It expands enough to fit a phone, cash, I.D., and fuel packets. What I really like is that it is not to bulky and stays put.


3. Camden Gear compression sleeves - Even though I did my best to avoid one, I recently had my first experience with a running injury. I am thankful that it wasn't a fracture, but what turned out to be a muscle strain on my shin. It was pretty painful, but I got it checked out right away, and faithfully followed the doctor's treatment plan. I received these sleeves as a gift, and they have definitely been helpful in my recovery and with being able to complete workouts.



4. Foot Spa - I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I have made it a routine to pamper my feet after every long run. So once a week, I soak my feet in this particular spa. It comes with heat, vibration, and bubbles! The removable rollers are an added way to massage your feet. I have yet to experiencing any foot issues!



 5. Over the Calf Socks  - Another part of my foot-pampering routing is moisturizing my feet and putting on a pair of these socks. The ones I use are from Under Armor. I find them to be a great addition to my recovery routine.  They are not as tight as compression sleeves, but are supportive and comfortable. I usually keep them on for the rest of the day  after a long run, removing them before bedtime.






I am still on the hunt for a good sports bra and tights or other workout bottoms. I've tried several different brands so far, but I'm still looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment